Most Canadians are aware that there is an issue with the quality of air that we breathe in our homes and offices, but the majority of us do not know how severe the problem really is.
Listed below are some facts that reaffirm how much of an issue indoor air quality has become and the impact that it can play on our lives:
- Most homes generate about 40 pounds of dust per year for every 1.500 square feet of space.
- About 40,000 dust mites, a common cause of household allergies, can be found in only one ounce of dust.
- Because they breathe faster than adults, children inhale 50% more air per pound of body weight than adults and are especially sensitive to air quality problems.
- The EPA ranks indoor air pollution among the top five environmental risks to public health.
- EPA studies indicate that indoor levels of many pollutants may be 25 times, and occasionally more than 100 times, higher than outdoor levels. In general, indoor air is four to five times more polluted than outdoor air.
- More than 15 million Americans are estimated to have asthma, including one-in-13 school-age children.
- In the last 30 years, the number of people with asthma has gone up by almost 60%.
- “Over 2.6 million Canadians over age 12 and 12% of children under 12 suffer from asthma related breathing problems.” -Source: asthma.ca.
Having your furnace and ducts professionally cleaned regularly to maintain a healthy home.